Sunday, April 23, 2023

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All-


What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my classes thus far. This past week I attended/presented a project at NCUIRE. It was great seeing other STEM-TRAIN students presenting their work as well!

We've been challenged to think about networking and the skills we've learned this semester. I will say, I did not have luck with LinkedIn (I'm probably not supposed to say that but I found that I was only able to follow many of the people I tried linking up with through various employers, and was unable to message them). So here's my take on networking that has worked for me: I get involved as much as I can with professors, I volunteer to help with events when I can, and I put myself out there for any potential opportunities. When I started at ASU in Spring of 2022, I didn't know any professors and only knew 1-3 students. I took volunteer opportunities in classes. For example, my ecology professor asked if any students were interested in helping to set up burrowing owl sanctuaries on campus so I volunteered. I later asked if I could do NCUIRE in his lab which he agreed to. This has given me the opportunity to present at several symposiums and network with people at and outside of ASU. Other NCUIRE students have had a similar experience and have presented their work at symposiums in other states.

So what has worked for me is asking how I can get involved. Can I volunteer? Can I join a lab? Can I assist with a project? How can I get involved? This has been useful in networking. If you're interested in research or working in a lab, please reach out, I would be happy to give a tour of the Black Widow lab! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All- What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my class...