Thursday, April 22, 2021

Research in Mission Beach CA!

 Hey All-

Hope your research is going well! This past week I spent a few days in San Diego and it was amazing! The weather was great and I'm so glad I went! While I was there, I went to the beach a few times; once to Mission Beach and once to a beach in Encinitas. The beach in Encinitas didn't have any visible trash. I saw a woman with a bag and trash grabber that was there with her work for Earth Day. She said she found a small amount of trash and it was mostly plastic. Good news! The time I spent at Mission Beach was a different story. There was a lot of trash left behind by beach goers. Mostly plastics but several masks (which are made of plastic) as well as paper and styrofoam food containers.

This research has really began to open my eyes to the amount of trash that gets left around but also the amount of plastics we produce and waste per year. I've been working on properly recycling products that are recyclable and reusing products that I'm able to. 

The photo below was taken at Mission Beach. The mask looks to be caught in the seaweed so I'm not sure if it washed on shore or if it happened to get caught on its journey toward the ocean.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All- What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my class...