Thursday, November 4, 2021

Transitioning from BPA to BPS

 Hey All-


This week has felt exhausting. One of my classes is done November 18th and has required a lot of studying which has taken time from my research. I have a lot more research to do for my project before the semester is over so my rough draft is ROUGH. 

One of the things I've been looking at are the alternatives to Bisphenol A (BPA) and how they can still leak chemicals that have estrogenic activity. As we continue to move away from BPA by using other chemicals like Bisphenol S (BPS), we basically haven't solved the issue, we've bandaged it. Companies like plastics because of the durability and low cost but don't seem to see the long term effects of plastics whether that's health related or detrimental to the environment. Below is a table from the Environmental Protection Agency that outlines how much plastic is generated, how much is recycled and what ends up in the landfill.


 

Data provided by: https://www.epa.gov/facts-and-figures-about-materials-waste-and-recycling/plastics-material-specific-data


No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All- What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my class...