Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Week of March 22nd

 Hello Everyone!

Last week I ventured over to Tres Rios to do some research and exploring. What a great area! The Tres Rios is where the Salt River, Gila River and Agua Fria River join together. It's a pretty large area and is right near the Phoenix Raceway in Avondale. I choose an area on the river bank that looked like it might collect trash as the rivers meet. 

I choose a 20ftx20ft area to collect trash. It took me about an hour to collect trash from the water and near the water. During my pick up I collected:

16 Plastic Bottles (whole/partial pieces)

6 Aluminum Cans

6 Glass Bottles

1 Bunch of wire/fishing line

16 Pieces of styrofoam

1 Latex Glove

5 Paper Products

26 Miscellaneous plastic

I'm mostly looking for one time use plastics. I'm still collecting the other data for now to ensure I have a good idea of the types of trash. Its safe to assume some of the trash was left behind by people and that not all of it came from the river. (Side note: I expected more masks/gloves given the pandemic but only found one latex glove)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All- What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my class...