Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Plastics-BPA edition

 Hi All!

I feel like I'm starting to circle around a research topic. I'm interested in the effects plastic has on our health and have been researching several topics. BPA has received attention over it use in plastic bottles and food packaging. BPA has been banned in baby bottles but continues to be used in items like food packaging and coating in metal cans. The chemicals in BPA have been found to affect reproductive systems of laboratory animals. The CDC has found BPA in urine samples from humans but research is limited on whether or not human reproduction is affected. Based on the most recent assessment, the FDA has determined BPA is safe at the occurring levels of food contact (https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/bisphenol-bpa-use-food-contact-application).

I've also began looking at microplastics in bottled water but need to locate more peer reviewed research...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting with a Mentor/Ncuire

 Hello All- What a busy/productive semester this has been! I think this is probably the most studying I've had to do for any of my class...